Benjamin Abbott is a freelance writer who has been published on websites such as GamesRadar and Metro.co.uk since 2012. He primarily writes about films and video games.
Benjamin also manages the marketing, PR and social media of FUNdays Club childcare alongside communications for a local primary school (this includes staff newsletters and website updates).
You can find selected examples of his work below.
- Does Gaming Sweep Mental Health Issues Under the Rug?
- The Surprisingly Complex and Creative Life of the Video Game Tie-In Novelist
- What if… Gaming Super Heroes Existed in the Real World?
- You Wouldn’t Want to Play These Unnecessarily Gritty Reboots… Or Would You?
- Super Mario 3D World Hands-On Preview
- (News) The Next Total War Game Will Be Set in the Warhammer World
- (News) Majora’s Mask Release Date and Fire Emblem- Everything From Nintendo Direct
- Various Blogs, Features and News Stories – Feel free to visit my author page for a full list of everything I wrote with Metro.co.uk. I also made a couple of ‘Reader’s Features’ for the gaming page in 2012, including this one.
- Social Media – Benjamin is responsible for maintaining the FUNdays Club Facebook and Twitter accounts as part of his role at the childcare organisation.
- Newlsetters – After starting in 2013, Benjamin has been writing newlsetters every month for years. He is now responsible for their design, and they also have a higher-than-industry-average open rate.
- Website Copy/Design, Leaflets and Promotional Material – Having worked on a selection of FUNdays Club leaflets and promotional material in the past, Benjamin has since updated their website with all-new visuals and text.
Christ Church Primary School:
- Staff Newsletters – As a part of his Communications Assistant role at the school, Benjamin is tasked with attending weekly staff briefings and taking notes before compiling any relevant information into an accessible teachers’ newsletter.
- Website Updates – Benjamin also creates updates, writes bulletins and uploads information for the school’s website on a weekly basis. In addition, he takes pictures for the school gallery whilst adhering to any safeguarding restrictions.
- Moving Matters – As a result of his work with FUNdays Club, Benjamin writes monthly newsletters and website updates for this sports-based childcare company in London.
- Synopsis and Editing – Benjamin wrote the synopsis for the children’s novel Gift and Curse by Leigh Missen. He was also involved in editing the book.
- Simply Nails by Solveig – Benjamin designed this website from the ground up for a local nail technician.
- The Push-Start Podcast – First introduced as a guest, Benjamin eventually took over the hosting and direction of this show. You can listen to the full collection on their site, running through Episodes #16 to #42. This was followed by a return for the finale, #60.
- Various videos and Articles
GAMER’S GUIDE TO LIFE:
- News Stories – Although the website no longer exists, Benjamin wrote some of his first pieces for a third party here.
- Live-Streams – In addition, Benjamin co-hosted two live-streams on DOTA 2 and the then-unreleased A Valley Without Wind. His duties included interviewing one of the game’s creators, managing the audience chat and allocating prizes.
- Interview – Due to his freelance work and creative writing, Benjamin was interviewed by the author of The Last Leaves Falling (Sarah Benwell) for her website.